Re: E-mail or e-mail

Subject: Re: E-mail or e-mail
From: "Ella M. Beale Peacock" <epeacock -at- DFW -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 12:31:30 -0500

Hi All.. a question was asked:

>Is the *e* in e-mail upper or lower case ? I usually use lower case
> because I didn't consider it a proper noun, but a programmer insists >that I capitalize it.

According to pg 18, RFC1983, Internet Glossary, published by the
Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), April 1996. Correct form would
be "email" unless starting a sentence then would be Sentence case as in:

Email is a system that computer users for messaging.

Otherwise should be lowercase and no hyphen.

If you're not familiar with IETF, their the folks who set global
standards for the internet. All of their docs and references can be
found at:

http://ds.internic.net/rfc/

The Internet Glossary's url is

http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1983.txt