Re: Devr. wants to take over doc.--some history

Subject: Re: Devr. wants to take over doc.--some history
From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:26:17 -0700

Wow--this sounds like a nasty little battle. If I can paraphrase the
developers' comments without quoting any sensitive information:

1) John can promise one-day turnaround, but it will take a few days for
the printed copies to get there. The engineer can put information online,
saving a few days.

2) Engineers don't really believe that John can incorporate changes in an
acceptable time, because he might not be available at that time.

Of course, with #1, I don't see why you can't put the information online
yourself. Objection #2 is much harder, and basically comes down to them
not believing you when you say you can turn around documents in a day.

It sounds even though they say that you have done great things with
documentation, they don't really believe that you have knowledge about
documentation that the engineers don't have. If you choose to fight this,
you may want to tactfully point out your expertise in organizing information,
knowledge of style guidelines, and your knowledge of however your
organization controls changes in documentation.

Of course, it's really easy for me to sit here and tell you to fight this--
I'm not the one on the front line. Good luck!

--Jeanette

--
Jeanette Feldhousen jeanette_feldhousen -at- mentorg -dot- com
Mentor Graphics Corporation