Icons

Subject: Icons
From: Rob Marriage <rmarriage -at- DETECTIONSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 15:30:44 -0500

Fellow subscribers,

Our department is coming up with some icons for "warning," "caution," and "note"
for use in our installation and programming guides for detection equipment and
their related controls.

The manuals I have consulted define "warning, "caution" and "note" but do not
provide examples of generally accepted icons for each. Can you tell me, based on
the following descriptions, if the icons we are creating are acceptable?

WARNING: a triangle with an exclamation point inside it.
CAUTION: a triangle inside another triangle.
NOTE: the word "note" with a triangle pointing to the text to the right.
(lots of triangles!)

Also, I couldn't find a definition for "danger" in the context I'm using. Does
that mean that "caution" covers "danger"?

Thanks in advance for your input. I don't have access to the Web at my location
so I can't check the archives. So, if there has already been a ton of material
posted on this subject, please reply to me privately.

Thanks again,

Rob