Re: Icons

Subject: Re: Icons
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 14:03:56 GMT

>Matt Ion wrote:
>> How about a skull-and-crossbones icon?

>That's what it's been for at least 20 years. But it works; why leave it
>alone.
Only for poison, AFAIK. A few years ago, it changed to the icky symbol
(green face with tongue sticking out) because young children didn't
understand the skull and cross-bones.

ANSI Z535 uses the exclamation point in the triangle. I'd stick with
that. Why? Because one day it would be nice if all danger, warnings,
and cautions were done consistently. I think their standard is
inclusive and well-thought out.

I did some research on this a few years back, and was appalled at the
variety and different meaning and use of these warnings. The military
standard is different than the ANSI standard, which is different than
the OSHA standard which is different than the standards companies set
up internally.

People don't read manuals that carefully - how can we expect them to
sort out the meanings unless we standardize across the board?

Regards,
Barb

Barbara Philbric, Caslon Services Inc.