Re: How do you "register" with U.S. Customs? (off)

Subject: Re: How do you "register" with U.S. Customs? (off)
From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 15:54:16 -0700

On May 6, 3:20pm, Ivie, Guy wrote:
> Subject: Re: How do you "register" with U.S. Customs? (off)
> FWIW...
>
> A long, lo-o-o-ong time ago, in Cleveland, I went to the U.S. Customs
> Office and asked to register an expensive camera I was taking overseas.
> They gave me a little form to fill out, and then they stamped it with
> some official looking stamp and told me to carry the form with the camera
> when I went out of the U.S. I didn't have a receipt with me. I'd guess
> the procedure is still much the same. If there isn't a Customs office
> near you, maybe you could get the form by mail and have it validated at
> the county courthouse?

>From the US Customs homepage (http://www.customs.ustreas.gov):

Foreign-made personal articles taken abroad are dutiable each time they are
brought into our country unless you have acceptable proof of prior
possession. Documents which fully describe the article, such as a bill of sale,
insurance policy, jeweler's appraisal, or receipt for purchase, may be
considered reasonable proof of prior possession.

Items such as watches, cameras, tape recorders, or other articles which may be
readily identified by serial number or permanently affixed
markings, may be taken to the Customs office nearest you and registered before
your departure. The Certificate of Registration (CF 4457) provided
will expedite free entry of these items when you return. Keep the certificate
as
it is valid for any future trips as long as the information on it remains
legible.

Registration cannot be accomplished by telephone nor can blank registration
forms be given or mailed to you to be filled out at a later time.

The page also has locations of customs offices, and notes that customs is
listed in the government section of your phone book under the US Treasury.

--Jeanette

--
Jeanette Feldhousen jeanette_feldhousen -at- mentorg -dot- com
Mentor Graphics Corporation