A4 paper and PDF

Subject: A4 paper and PDF
From: Jean Weber <jean_weber -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 21:57:17 -0400

I was offline for awhile (during and after the STC Confrence), so I missed
the original question. I regularly download PDF documents that were
designed for US letter-size paper and print them on A4 paper. No problems
at all, unless the right-rand margin on the original is too narrow. There's
a half-inch or so of excess white space at the bottom of the page, which
some might find aesthetically unpleasant but is otherwise irrelevant.

If I were designing a PDF document intended to be printed on both US
letter-size paper and A4 paper, I would design it to fit the narrower A4
width and shorter US length. Then you can be sure it will print on both,
even if some of the margins end up a trifle wider than you might consider
ideal.

Jean Weber
Sydney, Australia
jean_weber -at- compuserve -dot- com