Re: Half Day Interview

Subject: Re: Half Day Interview
From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- DHC -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 15:00:40 -0500

Alexia Prendergast wrote:

> I think every interview I've had in the last 5 years
> has lasted 2-6 hours.
I'm amazed at the different modus operandi of employers and placement
agencies in different parts of the country. In the contract which I
just completed with JDTV in Arlington, Texas, the interview lasted less
than one hour and I was called the next morning at 0730 to come in to
sign a non-disclosure agreement and take the software home to write the
book. Finished the 16-page cd-box sized book in 48 billable hours,
including 12 screen captures, text, and formatting. Already have my
money and the promise of a new at-home contract within a month.

A national placement firm which had my resume from a couple months back
called me the day before the aforementioned contract was finished and
asked if I was available for full-time work. Eliza (the recruiter) asked
for my SS#, said give me a few minutes, then called me back in less than
an hour with the news that I have been hired by one of the three largest
banks in the U.S. on a six-month temp-to-perm contract to document some
new software for them.

I never met Eliza from the placement agency, although I will meet her
tomorrow morning for breakfast to sign the papers (she has already faxed
the agreement to me in order to lock me in).

I have never met anyone from the bank and as far as I know, the only
investigation was through my SS# (I never object to giving that number
BTW).

I will identify the bank and the placement agency to any subscribers in
a phone call, if anyone has doubts about the veracity of this story, you
can call Eliza. She still needs a few good men and women.

Unemployment rate in the DFW area is now down to 3.5%, and I suspect the
hi-tech rate is lower than that.

Buck Buchanan
writer -at- dhc -dot- net
(817) 572-3467