Re: Half Day Interview

Subject: Re: Half Day Interview
From: Mike Collier - SSG <MikeCol -at- SBSERVICES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 15:44:40 -0400

A couple times I was interviewed by employers who required me to spend a
_full day_ interviewing with various people at their site. One physical
location, not even multiple sites or buildings. After both experiences,
where I had to answer the same questions six to eight times, I had no
interest in working at either place.

Frankly, I would ask them what they intend to do with you during that
time. Take a test? Tour facilities? Interview with various staff,
managers, executives? Especially the testing part...I consider it unfair
to spring editing tests, writing and grammar tests, etc. upon candidates
without knowing in advance that they will be tested. Not to mention the
increasingly ubiquitous "personality inventories" and other forms of
psychological testing that HR departments like to administer.

In my opinion it's perfectly acceptable for you to ask them in advance
what your interview will consist of. If it consists of meeting with many
people, then gather names, titles, etc. of those individuals so you
can address thank you notes. Ask if you will be taking tests of any
kind. The best way to prepare for something like this is to find out in
advance what you can expect.

And fortify yourself... if they don't buy you lunch, continue to
interview elsewhere!

Michael Collier
mikecol -at- sbservices -dot- com
SOFTBANK Services Group