Re: 'istory of the US and UK

Subject: Re: 'istory of the US and UK
From: "Tamminga, Ernie" <et -at- DSC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 08:11:30 -0700

I've noticed that, too... in the USA, if you speak with clear diction
(pronouncing all your syllables, etc.), people want to know where you're
from. (I grew up in Arizona.)

In my case, maybe the speaking-habits come from long-ago grammar school
training in "spelling" -- sounding out a word in order to make an
educated guess as to how to spell it. Comes in handy as a writer, at
least in that it minimizes the number of times I reach for a dictionary
to look up a spelling (or the number of times Microsoft Word offers to
make substitutions for me...).