Re: Creating database to manage documentation

Subject: Re: Creating database to manage documentation
From: "Engstrom, Douglas D." <EngstromDD -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 08:12:45 -0500

Alex Finlayson <agfin -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM> wrote:
***************
I want to make a small database program to manage documentation, ie:
track
versions, check-in check-out features, that sort of thing, as well as
contain Helpdesk features. We use MS Access for the PC. Has anyone
ever
done this sort of thing? Any tips, samples you can direct me to.
Thanks
in advance!
***************
Alex:

You asked for tips and advice. Here they come.

First, do a good analysis. It sounds like you have probably started to
ask the right questions, but carry through in detail. Exactly why do you
want a document management system? What specific pieces of information
do you want to retrieve? Why? Are you trying for some sort external
certification (ISO 9000, etc.) or do you have some general efficiency
goals in mind? What do you need to know in order to meet your
objectives? Write the answers down, and make sure they are correct by
verifying them with both department management and potential users of
the system.

If you don't hammer out exactly what you are trying to do in advance,
you will flounder early and often, and invest a lot of time, money and
effort in a system that everyone will hate. The analysis step applies
whether you are going to create your own database or purchase a document
management system.

Second, purchase a document management package. Granted, at first
glance this looks like something you can whip out in MS Access and save
some bucks. But, by the time you account for the time and effort
necessary to do a good job, including testing, revision, and
modification, not to mention the great, forgotten expense of ongoing
maintenance, a purchased package will cost peanuts by comparison. There
are a wide enough variety of products out there today that creating your
own document management system makes about as much sense as writing your
own word processor. I have some experience with DOCS Open I can share
off-line (or you can find my previous comments by searching the list
archive) and I can point you to some resources if you are interested.

Skoal,

Doug Engstrom "It's hard not to rock the boat when you're
engstromdd -at- phibred -dot- com sailing against the undertow."
--- The Indigo Girls