Re: Need help for long Word7 Docs

Subject: Re: Need help for long Word7 Docs
From: Jessica N Lange <jlange -at- OHIOEE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 08:52:35 -0400

<snip>
I am working with technical manuals of 70-160 pages in Word 7. ... But I need an index and can't figure out how to do it without master document.
</snip>

I've used Word for the last 6+ years to create manuals of 300-400 pages (1 file per chapter).
In the TOC and Index files I use a {rd} field code to reference each chapter file. This procedure--begun before Word's Master Document feature was available--has always worked for me with no problems.

BTW, to print chapter numbers in the TOC and index (e.g. 2-x), I use this field code at the start of every chapter file: {seq section \rx} with "x" being the chapter number. Then the TOC is is:
{toc \s "section"} and the Index code is {index \s "section" \h "a"}