Re: Commas

Subject: Re: Commas
From: Lynn Gold <figmo -at- RAHUL -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 19:09:11 -0700

Andrew F. Swartz whispered in utmost secrecy:

>Would you put commas in these sentences?
>
> First turn on the computer.
> Second go get a cup of coffee.
> Third eat some bagels.
> Then chat with co-workers.
> Finally take a break.
>
>I tried to find the info in Chicago Manual of Style, but got lost. Anyone
>have a clue what section this stuff is covered under?

FOUND IT!!!

The "Chicago Manual of Style" says the following:

5.38 The comma is usually omitted after short introductory adverbial
phraseunless misreading is likely:

On Tuesday he tried to see the mayor.

After breakfast the count mounted his horse.

For thirty years the widow had refused to move.
*but*
Before eating, the members of the committee met in the assembly
room.

5.39 A comma should not be used after an introductory adverbial phrase
that immediate precedes the verb it modifies:

Out of the automobile stepped a short man in a blue suit.

In the doorway stood a man with a summons.

Hope that helps!

--Lynn Gold "net.fogey" figmo -at- rahul -dot- net,
Senior Technical Writer, TCSI (weekdays) or lgold -at- tcsi -dot- com
News Anchor, KLIV & KARA News (weekends)

Quote of the week:

"When I watch TV and see those poor, starving kids all over the world, I
can't help but cry. I mean, I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with
all those flies and death and stuff."

-- MARIAH CAREY, WENN (World Entertainment News Network)
and quoted on Radio 1 by both Kevin Greening and Chris Evans