Re: Is temping a good way to start?

Subject: Re: Is temping a good way to start?
From: "L. Burnham O'Donald" <lodonald -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:24:53 -0400

Kathryn Fuhlbrigge wrote:

> My greatest ability (IMHO) is my ability to absorb HUGE amounts of
> information, dissect it, figure out what is really important, and recombine
> it in a logical way.

Can you do this with _any_ kind of technical information? If so, you
shouldn't have too many problems finding work; I'd think alsmost any
company with an entry-level tech writing position would be very glad to
take you on. You'd be able to quickly show your stuff and you'd be
able to quickly move up and out (to a better position more in keeping
with your other experience).

I've not been following this thread 100%, so I might have missed where
you'd indicated what type of tech writing you wanted to do. You've said
your background is finance and strategy (but what do you mean by
strategy, exactly?) ... perhaps you should try to take on a
grant-writing job, even gratis, just to get the experience, and go on
from there. Banks need tech writers, of course; that seems like a
logical place for a person with financial background to start,
especially if they might be more concerned with conceptual understanding
of finance than writing per se, to begin with. Have you given any
thought to the industry you want to work in? You might also try a
company that specializes in financial software.

By the way, a couple courses in tech writing would be a good idea, if
that's possible. Also, you'd said you understand typography and design
... that's good, but do you have work that clearly shows that you do, or
courses you took in those subjects? A prospective employer wants to see
proof of what you say you can do. In making a transition to a new field,
therefore, course work is frequently indispensable. You may already know
the basics, but that will help you ace the courses; more important, the
course work will buttress both your resume and desire to make a change,
all of which will favorably impress a prospective employer. Course work
is a great way to build a portfolio where none otherwise exists.

Does this help?

Louise O'Donald
lodonald -at- primenet -dot- com