Re: Tooltip Guidelines?

Subject: Re: Tooltip Guidelines?
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 08:59:24 -0700

>Danna Cardwell writes:
>>>
> We are adding tooltips to our products. We are struggling with wording. How
> much is too much? How exact does the tooltip have to be?
> For example, clicking an icon opens a dialog box from where the user can
>add,
> update, delete, view, and print database records about people.
> So, what should we call the tooltip? Some suggestions include:
> Open the People dialog box
> Maintain People
> Edit People
> Modify People
> Open People
><<

Hmm. That is a dilemma. Modify, edit, and maintain aren't accurate for
all options. (You aren't doing any of those things when you view or
print.) Open People doesn't really tell you enough. How about "Work with
People" or "Access People Data".

Bev Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil
The Friendly Faces of TECHWR-L -
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/