Re: Agencies/markup/etc.

Subject: Re: Agencies/markup/etc.
From: Twyla Beth Lambert <tlambert -at- AIG -dot- VIALINK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 15:10:33 -0500

<<Are we using ebonics in the tech writers list? >>

Although I don't want to promote the "de-evolution" of our
language, IMO technical communicators should use whatever works
to communicate.

On this topic, I recall a report on a PSA poster design from a
few years ago. The report's authors had designed a poster for
an inner city health clinic, I believe. They discovered that if
they used the biological names for body parts, the intended
audience didn't understand the message. So they had to revise
their vocabulary to more closely match that of their audience.

Isn't that the point? Communicate effectively by communicating
in the "language" (whether verbal or visual) of the audience?

And yes, I realize that "dissing" is apparently _not_ a common
term with _this_ audience, since some people did not understand
it. But I just don't want to become such a "vocabulary snob"
that I miss the point with my audience. MHO.
* *
* "Big words bother me." *
* - Winnie the Pooh *
* *