Re: Is it just me? S/W doc question -Reply

Subject: Re: Is it just me? S/W doc question -Reply
From: ahreed <ahreed -at- MAIL -dot- IAMERICA -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:37:56 -0400

Janet Manry wrote:

> Speaking of contractors, have any of you contractors ever worked
> off-site?
>
> If so, how did you manage to keep up with changes in the application?
> Were you able to keep in contact with the developers by e-mail, for
> example?

I recently completed a user's guide under these very circumstances.
Although my client is only six minutes from my home, roughly 95% of my
communication with the developer was via e-mail. I have never spoken to
the developer on the phone; over the four months on this project we had
maybe four face-to-face meetings of two hours or less. Because I tested
the software as I documented it, I was a driving force behind many of
the changes.

The developer on this project deserves high praise. He has always
welcomed my suggestions and responded promptly to my requests for
information. When I requested changes to the GUI or to screen function,
he generally completed the changes, zipped them up, and e-mailed them to
me on the same day. For changes that I did not initiate, the developer
dropped me an e-mail or informed me at our face-to-face meetings.

In addition, before I declare a user's guide complete, I "test" it
against the software to ensure accuracy and to catch any overlooked
changes.

To change the topic a wee bit... A former employer has expressed
interest in my taking up the slack for my successor. Here's the rub: I
now live 1500 miles from that employer. I'd like a long distance
arrangement similar to the short distance arrangement that I've
described. Are there any long distance success stories out there who are
willing to share your wisdom?

Regards,

Gay Reed
Doc Doctor
Mailto:ahreed -at- mail -dot- iamerica -dot- net