Re: newbie needs advice

Subject: Re: newbie needs advice
From: Dave Meek <meekd -at- WSERVER -dot- DO -dot- LOSRIOS -dot- CC -dot- CA -dot- US>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:50:30 -0700

At 06:07 PM 6/2/97 -0600, Rebecca Chamberlain wrote:
>The way I see it, there are a few different directions I could take. (But
>I probably haven't thought of everything).
>program 2 hours away.
>2. Stay where I am, gather some experience and a large variety of
>material of questionable quality for a portfolio. I'm the closest thing
>to a tech writer at my company, so I could probably churn out some pretty
>awful stuff and they'd love me just to have anything.
>3. Find a position as a junior tech writer at a company that has an
>experienced/established documentation department where I could "learn the
>ropes."
>
>What should I do?

This response is a quick hip shot (end of a long day), but I think it will help.

I have a BA in English and a Master's in Business. Nothing in the way of
formal technical writing education. Picked it all up as OJT. This path has
certain advantages, but I feel formal tech writing classes are better.

If at all possible, I would take the master's program *and* continue working
as a de facto tech writer at the insurance company. Working and going to
school can be a grind, but I think you'll be better off in the long run.
You can implement in your job what you learn in school. Consider it paid
training. Your company will love that your work is improving, and you will
gain a portfolio and a good reference. When you get your degree, you can
transition into a mid-level technical writing job.

Practice the interviewing skills you learned in your journalism program.
And make sure you learn FrameMaker. I haven't (yet), and I've missed out on
a number of great job opportunities because of that fact.