Re: newbie needs advice

Subject: Re: newbie needs advice
From: Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 18:10:12 -0700

Dave Meek wrote:

> If at all possible, I would take the master's program *and* continue working
> as a de facto tech writer at the insurance company. Working and going to
> school can be a grind, but I think you'll be better off in the long run.
> You can implement in your job what you learn in school. Consider it paid
> training. Your company will love that your work is improving, and you will
> gain a portfolio and a good reference. When you get your degree, you can
> transition into a mid-level technical writing job.

I agree with Dave's advice. I finished my coursework in a Master's
program in tech comm in December, and there were many students who
worked during the day and came to class in the evening. They were tired
and harried, but they always contributed great ideas to the class
discussion. The other students enjoyed hearing about how the
"full-time-job" students used the stuff we talked about in class on the
job. And the "full-time-job" students would sometimes share real triumph
stories of how they were able to make changes in their workplaces based
on classroom discussions.

So I think if you can possibly do both work and school you'll

1) make the class discussion more relevant and interesting for other
students.

2) learn things you can use at work.