Re: Abbreviation of measures

Subject: Re: Abbreviation of measures
From: Cheryl Kidder <chekid -at- SYMIX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:12:20 -0400

Rikki:

Here's the pages from the MS manual of style that pertain:

One megabyte is equal to 1,048,576 bytes, or 1,024 kilobytes.

· Abbreviate as MB, not M, meg, or Mbyte. At first mention, spell out
and use the abbreviation in parentheses.
· Leave a space between the numeral and MB except when the measurement
is used as an adjective preceding a noun. In that case, use a hyphen.

Correct
1.2-megabyte (MB) disk
1.2 MB
40-MB hard disk

· When used as a noun in measurements, add of to form a prepositional
phrase.

Correct
You cannot run Word if you have only 1 MB of memory.

And......

One gigabyte is equal to 1,073,741,824 bytes, or 1,024 megabytes.

· Abbreviate as GB, not G, G byte, or Gbyte. At first mention, spell
out and use the abbreviation in parentheses.
· Leave a space between the numeral and GB except when the measurement
is used as an adjective preceding a noun. In that case, use a hyphen.

Correct
10 gigabytes (GB)
10-GB hard disk

· When used as a noun in measurements, add of to form a prepositional
phrase.

Correct
You will need to free 1 GB of hard disk space.

Hope that helps,
Cheryl D. Kidder
Senior Information Developer
Symix, Inc.