Command nomenclature

Subject: Command nomenclature
From: "Andrew F. Swartz" <aswartz -at- HARLEQUIN -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 16:50:22 +0100

I did a small survey of my company's users (mostly police officers) and
found that over half didn't understand the convention Yvonne DeGraw
suggests: "Choose File-->Open." However, we explain the convention only in
the preface, and I suspect not many readers look at prefaces. I look
forward to trying Yvonne's suggestion of explaining the convention on first
use of each chapter. Since this is one of the most common sorts of
instructions in a software user manual, it seems like it's worth taking the
time to figure out the best wording.

I have no major quibble with MS's recommendation

> On the File menu, click Open.
> From the File menu, choose Open.

for standalone sentences, but it's difficult to think how to use that
recommendation when it's part of a bigger sentence, such as 'To open a
file, from the File menu, choose open.' I prefer to word a sentence like
that as 'To open a file, pull down the File menu and choose Open.'

Best wishes,
--Andrew Swartz