Re: Updating Hard Copies of Existing Manuals

Subject: Re: Updating Hard Copies of Existing Manuals
From: Ruth Glaser <ruthg -at- GORETEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:29:31 -0500

From: gloria <gmedcalf -at- PRAIRIE -dot- LAKES -dot- COM>, on 6/10/97 2:49 PM:

How do you handle page numbering with this a plan like this?

How do you handle the inevitiable obsolescence of the manual TOCS
everytime additional pages are sent to the customer?

To which Bill DuBay responded:

I refuse to do updates like that. It is the biggest mess, waste of time, and
customers hate it. Keep a track of who gets what and send them the whole new
manual. Period.

----------------

While reissuing whole manuals is ideal, there are a number of
reasons why that solution may not work in each case every time.

Here's how we've handled the often untoward and unfortunately
necessary beastie, *replacement pages*.

Dot pages are those that come between normal page numbers.
Ex., between pages 3 and 4, insert pages 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, and
3.4.

For proper pagination, make sure there are an even number
of dot pages, otherwise you'll end up with blank backsides on
some pages.

TOC's and indexes must be redone when dot pages and/or
additional pages are added to a manual.

When we send replacement/update pages to a user we
include a cover sheet explaining what these pages are and
include a table that looks something like this:

Remove pages Replace them with pages Insert
1 through 10 1 through 10.2
25.1 - 25.4

(Thanks to Joe S. who helped immensely when we went
through this the first time!)

Ruth
rglaser -at- nxtrend -dot- com