Re: Experience VS Ability

Subject: Re: Experience VS Ability
From: Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:38:10 -0700

I'm not sure what you're saying, John. Are you talking about how tech
writers should write their resumes? If so, I generally list several
programs I know, not because I think the company I'm sending the resume
to wants someone who knows those programs, but to show that I can learn
to use new tools quickly and easily. If there's a better way to show
this on a resume, I'd like to know it.

I also list my membership experience (offices held, awards won, etc.)
with STC to show that I try to keep up with trends in our field, but
again, if there's a better way to express that, I'd like to know it.

Finally, when I was interviewing last, I really did get the feeling that
employers just wanted to know if I was experienced with "X" software or
knew about "X" trend or had experience in "X" field. "Can you learn new
things quickly?" wasn't a question I got asked, although I tried to
express it in interviews. In other words, I think it's possible that
many, many people out there who are hiring tech writers are not as
advanced as John. Of course, I'd prefer to work with/for people who are
. . .

Now remember, John, you asked for opinions! ;-)