Re: Experience VS Ability

Subject: Re: Experience VS Ability
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:11:36 -0700

John Eldard wrote:
>How many of you in TECHWR-L-land get resumes filled with names of
>software programs that the writer, illustrator, editor, etc., is
>EXPERIENCED in using?

<Sue raises her hand>

>... how could you possible be an expert or
>experienced in all the aspects of the job or all the tools available.
>... You need to become good at knowing the trends, the basics of those trends
>(techniques, tools available, how they work, etc.) and be able to use
>them with little (but some)ramping-up time. What are your opinions. (I
>am considering an article for a professional journal about this subject
>and possible use you as a resource) Thanks -

When I look at a resume (and I'm hiring again, BTW, so keep those
cards 'n' letters comin'!), I generally skim the tools section briefly.
Listing an online help authoring tool tells me that the candidate has
experience with help. I also look for some mention of HTML, and for
the position I'm looking to fill now, some kind of programmng language.

During the interview, I ask questions about concepts -- how do you
change your writing style to accomodate online delivery? -- and so
on.

A long time ago, I stopped listing specific tools as required skills
for the job.

I suppose I might pay more attention to the listed toolset if I were
recruiting a junior-level position; but, here I am, recruiting for a
senior writer who can do programming user guides and references for
C++ *and* Java. If you can learn the application I'm asking you to doc,
you ferdamnsure better be able to handle RoboHelp. Here's the manual,
here's the software, come back with questions, your deadline is at
the end of the month -- and if you think you need a class, find one,
go, and I'll sign the reimbursement form. You order technical books
via the receptionist -- have the ISBN ready.

The whole *career* is about learning stuff! What's one more application
more or less???

But then, on a personal level, if I already had all the skills and
knowledge required to do the job, why would I want it???

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com