Re: slashes, UNIX, and Windows

Subject: Re: slashes, UNIX, and Windows
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 07:35:52 -0500

Matt--

Matt Ion wrote:

> And why not be platform-specific? How about an annotation, either as a
> footnote, an entry in the glossary, an "IMPORTANT!" reminder at the
> beginning - whatever is appropriate for your format - stating, perhaps,
> that while examples shown are of the style used by one system, the
> other system uses the opposite style.

Ideally, I agree, but my boss brought up the point that UNIX people can
sometimes be insulted when the slashes don't go their way (a
characteristic I attribute to microscopically thin skin). I have
encountered this, too. But, we're phasing in platform support and the
first phase will not include UNIX. My point was (in agreement with
yours) that UNIX people will know the difference, whereas Windows people
might not (although if they're using this product, they'd better).

My boss is just looking for a way to make everyone happy without
compromising the material, but he realizes we'll probably have to go
with one or the other.

> ....while your average Windows user thinks Unix is a new type
> of candy bar.

I think I've had that. It has chocolate, peanut butter, chocolate chips,
raisins, and Rice Krispies (TM) brand breakfast cereal (notice proper
use of trademarks).

--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel