Re: Searching for a Job when you have one

Subject: Re: Searching for a Job when you have one
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:43:11 -0500

An anonymous tech writer wrote:

> Does anyone have recommendations for conducting a job search when you
> haven't left your current job and don't wish to give notice until you're
> sure that you have another job secured? Would you list your current job
> by name on your resume and run the risk of your employer finding out? If
> not, how would you describe your current work experience on the resume?
> At what point would you tell your employer--over the phone, at an
> interview, or at all?

If I were sending a resume directly to a company, I would list all the
information about my current job. If I were posting to a newsgroup, I
wouldn't list any employers or locations and include a note to e-mail me
for more information. I would also not post my name on the resume, just
my e-mail address. Finally, I'd get a juno e-mail address different from
my home e-mail address. Here are the reasons:

1. I was recruited when a member of my company saw my resume on a
newsgroup. If they found me there once, they can find me there twice.

2. In a contract situation, I've had less scrupulous companies submit me
(including my name) without asking my permission. As a result, I was
submitted twice for the same job, which is bad.

3. I wouldn't list any of the companies because the people I work with
know where I've worked before. I'd say something like "A Virginia-based
defense contractor" instead of the specific defense contractor I worked
for. My e-mail's there and all someone needs to do is send me a message
and I'll send them the real resume.

4. Finally, my home e-mail address is hamilton@<my internet provider>.
That's what it was before I moved. There aren't too many technical
writers with an e-mail address as hamilton@<internet provider> in the
Chicago area. This might seem paranoid, but the guy who found my resume
would notice this and know it was me.

My question to potential employers is, would this genericizing of my
resume turn you off if you found it on the internet someplace?

Chris

--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel