Writers Co-op & Apology

Subject: Writers Co-op & Apology
From: Allan Sand <asand -at- FLASH -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 11:26:43 -0700

Hi everyone,

FIRST, I APOLOGIZE TO ALL!! The Concept Virus in the attached file on my
including the Word file on this post. Rather, I am including the text as
part of this post.

Here is the resubmission:

Some of you are aware that I'm starting a Co-op in the San Francisco Bay
Area for writers. I've finished the business plan, and am currently
cleaning up my mailing list. The next step is to call the companies and dig
out the contact name in the Pubs Dept. (Question: should I include
Marketing Directors as a target?)

I'm looking for writers with very strong specialized experience and skills
of all fields. (Specialization should help overcome distance.) Part-time
is acceptable.

I also need related fields, i.e., indexers, editors, web wizards, etc.

(If you can, send resume in Word format.)

I need examples of Contracts between Companies and Agencies, and Agencies
and Talent. Is there a book?

See below for more info. Send questions and comments.

Allan Sand
( asand -at- flash -dot- net )
Business Writing Services, The Writers Cooperative.

(following is the text)

Mission Statement

The purpose of Business Writing Services, the Writers' Cooperative (Co-op),
is to place writers and communication support experts (Talent) on a
contract basis with companies (Clients) for the benefit of the Talent.

The basic operating philosophy of the Co-op is:
"If you do the work, you receive the rewards."

Current Business Practices

The old model of a company being responsible for their employees is dead.
When a company needs technical expertise, it goes to an appropriate Agency.

Agencies maximize their profits by keeping their Cost of Goods (that's you)
as low as possible. You deserve more. Not only more money, but more
information. You should know the contractual arrangements for your
expertise that are agreed upon between the Client and the Agency.

Agencies go to great lengths to hide the details of contracts they make
with Clients. Generally, they keep from 40-50% (or more) of the contract.
Independent writers, being in business for themselves, become
understandably upset over this split, especially in a field with high
demand and low supply. After all, the Agency doesn't need to do all that
much work. It is you who must keep the Client satisfied with your
education, knowledge and competence. Why shouldn't you receive a greater
share of the rewards?

Of course, an Agency is a business and must use its margin to cover
expenses. When an Agency receives a request for a placement, it must spend
time to fulfill the request. After placement, it must pay the contractor,
usually before receiving the money from the Client. And, of course, there
are overhead costs -- rent, utilities, office help, taxes, etc. etc. But
still, the split to the Agency seems a bit obscene.

How We Can Beat the System

Given the premise that the contractor who does the work should receive the
corresponding rewards -- Allan Sand is forming a Co-op to compete with and
combat the Agencies' exorbitant margin. The Co-op will offer a means
whereby Talent, the Client and the Co-op can work together in an honest and
aboveboard manner, without hidden information.

The base percentage rate that all Co-op members receive is 75% of the
contract rate. If you provide the contact name and help convince the Client
to place you through the Co-op, you receive an additional 5%. If you assist
in negotiating the contract, you receive an additional 5%. So, any Talent
can receive 85% of the contract rate. Plus, there are bonuses for helping
to place other Co-op members.

In order to compete effectively in the marketplace, the Co-op needs to
offer a broad selection of skills and abilities, not only in the writing
field, but also in other areas, such as Internet wizards, graphic
designers, indexers, managers, etc. You will need to help by soliciting
your friends and acquaintances for involvement in our Co-op. And, if you
know of other knowledge experts, it will benefit everyone if the Co-op has
information about them.

To establish the Co-op as THE source for Talent, there will be regular
promotion efforts to solicit contracts through a combination of referrals,
Internet presence, and direct marketing.

How to Get Started

You've looked at this information and it sounds good. What do you need to
do?

First, prepare your resume, indicating your knowledge, expertise, and
experience. Get it to Allan Sand at:
Address: 1201 Alderwood Ave., Sunnyvale, CA 94086-2202
Email: asand -at- flash -dot- net
Fax: (408) 734-4368

Second, contact Allan at (408) 745-7612. Tell him a bit about yourself and
arrange an appointment to come in.

Third, meet with Allan to discuss how we can work together.