Re: Certification Issues

Subject: Re: Certification Issues
From: "Larry Kunz ((919) 254-6395)" <ldkunz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 12:05:16 EDT

Bill DuBay wrote:

>> I was quite surprised to find a presentation by Larry Kunz at the
>> Toronto meeting, in which he announced the funding of the new
>> study, the first since the 4-year study done by the STC in
>> 1982-86. <snip>
>>
>> I was surprised, because I felt there had been a blackout on any
>> public discussion of this issue. In 10 years that I know of, only
>> one article of note was published in any of the publications.

Jim Purcell responded:

> I hope this doesn't mean what it sounds like. To me it says that
> the STC doesn't trust its membership, wants to pursue an issue
> that it feels will tear the society apart, but doesn't
> particularly want these efforts publicized. Please tell me I'm
> missing something.

Jim, I'm happy to report that you're missing something. STC has
always encouraged its members to talk and be informed about the
certification issue. Preferably not in that order, of course. <g>

We've published several things about certification in the last
couple of years, including these in which I was involved personally:

- Intercom, Vol. 41, No. 4 (November 1994): "Certification Debate
Waged in Cyberspace" (based on an earlier discussion in TECHWR-L)

- 1996 Annual Conference Proceedings: "Professional Certification:
Evolution, Revolution, or Status Quo?" (p. 144)

- Video broadcast, November 1995 (to which Tracy Boyington referred)

We've also held sessions about certification at the last three STC
Annual Conferences. I've observed that each session drew a smaller
audience than we'd planned for -- suggesting that while some
people care passionately (on both sides), interest might not be
all that widespread.

In about a week STC will issue a press release about the upcoming
certification study. Press releases are available from the
"Publications" section of the STC web site (http://www.stc-va.org/).
I can also send a summary of the study (plain text format) and/or a
copy of the charts I presented at the Toronto conference (Lotus
Freelance for Windows). Request them from ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com -dot-

Larry Kunz
STC Assistant to the President for Professional Development
ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
http://www.networking.ibm.com/eNetwork