Re: Contractor Question -- Customer-Induced Delays

Subject: Re: Contractor Question -- Customer-Induced Delays
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:46:44 GMT

>This question is for all of you seasoned contractors out there. I'm
>looking for some language to put in my contract regarding
>"customer-induced delays."
My contract contains these two lines:

4. The parties agree that the work as contracted shall be completed at
such time as the parties mutually agree.
5. Client agrees to cooperate at all times with Consultant and provide
Consultant with advice, materials, or software that will enable
Consultant to complete and comply with assignment herein.

Unless specifically requested to, I don't even include a final date on
the quote, since I rarely meet deadlines (clients' fault, not mine).

>A consultant friend advised me to escalate the pay rate for each delay
>and I've mitigated the problem with one client by charging for
>non-productive hours. But I want to make this part of my agreement up
>front.
It's a good idea to spell it out up front. Otherwise, you wouldn't
have a prayer in court. I've never charged for client tardiness
because I typically have two to three jobs at all times, so I just
pick up on one of the other ones while I wait for information. If you
are 40 hours per week for one client, though, it's more of a burden if
you have to hang out waiting for them.

Good luck,

Barb

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.