Re: Buying expensive software

Subject: Re: Buying expensive software
From: dave <dlemiski -at- PLANET -dot- EON -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:19:41 -0600

At 12:48 PM 17/06/97 -0500, you wrote:

> If you occasionally have to purchase an expensive software
> package (e.g., just for a single contract) and don't have
> lots of free cash floating around, think seriously about
> negotiating a "personal line of credit" with your bank.
> (That's Canadian jargon; there are probably different names
> elsewhere in the world, so a brief description:)

Another option if the software is to be left in the hands of the contracting
firm is to have them purchase the software, or to include the purchase price
of the software in the up-front cost of the contract. I have done it both
ways and never ran into opposition. My standard development tools are
stated up front. If the contracting firm requires other specific products,
they become transferable costs, either up-front, or at the successful
completion of the contract.
David Lemiski
David A. Lemiski Consulting Corporation
Online Documentation, Technical Manuals, & Technical Training
dlemiski -at- planet -dot- eon -dot- net
(403) 454-8326, (403) 975-9742