Certification - For Whom?

Subject: Certification - For Whom?
From: Don Smith <dsmith -at- ACCESSBEYOND -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:33:15 EST

I said to myself I was not going to make any comments on this, but
here I am doing it. Hope this doesn't show my determination abilities.

In reading all of the comments to and fro about this Certification
business (notice I have already capitalized it), it become apparent
(at least to me) that two questions need to be asked.

1. Just who is it that is to be certified, and
2. Who does the certification help?

It appears from the comments, at least in large numbers, that those
that think it is a good idea and will be helpful (to whom?) are those
in a management position, contractors, those that interview, or those
who must make decisions on whether or not to hire a certain new
writer.

On the other hand, it seems that those against the idea (which
includes me) are the experience technical writers who are not
concerned with proving that they are worthy to be technical writers.
Ultimately it is the users of the manuals I write that determine if I
am a good writer or not. In the short term it is my boss and my
company who make that decision. If I'm not, they will find that out
quickly enough.

ultimately be a big help to those who make decision on whether to hire
or not. I don't believe that it would help us as technical writers at
all. It is more testing, money, "us and them", more hassle and more
"big brotherism", without benefit. Do we also have to become "me
too's"?

Of course, as always, MOO.

Don Smith