Re: Is Microsoft Word a hog?

Subject: Re: Is Microsoft Word a hog?
From: Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:56:10 EDT

Why not convert your graphic into a .bmp format and then just link it into
the document with the Insert/Picture command, and uncheck Save With File? The
unembedded graphic will not add any size to your document.

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com
-------------
Original Text
From: Carl Stieren <STIEREN -at- SIMWARE -dot- COM>, on 06/19/1997 09:47:
I used MS Word 7 for Windows 95/NT to write my paper on single source
documentation for SIGDOC 97. Before I inserted the graphics, the pieces
of this document were this big:

ssource.doc 37 kB
tenchtml.gif 28 kB
tenfm2.gif 33 kB
tenpdf2.gif 54 kB

TOTAL 152 kB

When I inserted the gifs into the Word doc ( Insert/Object/Create_From_File
),
guess how big the document became?

Give up? 5.8 MB !

Now, even if MS Word inserted the whole PhotoShop Pro program in its
file three times, the file would not have been this big?

What happened?

Is there any way to avoid this, or is MS Word just a hog?

(By the way, in the end, since I couldn't get the Word doc to a
transmittable
size, I just sent the doc without the gifs and sent the gifs as well and
told
the SIGDOC Reviewer to "Insert gifs A, B, and C into document D".)

- Carl Stieren
Technical Writer
Ottawa, Ontario Canada

...I speak on behalf of myself only. This message is my own, not that of my
employer.