Re: Would you hire...

Subject: Re: Would you hire...
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 09:55:26 -0700

Chris Hamilton wrote

> My question is this: if a technical writer were to take a year or two
> and program in COBOL because the money is incredible, would it hurt that
> technical writer's credibility with you if you were a hiring manager?

Not with THIS hiring manager! Look at what you'd learn:

1. How to make antiquated COBOL code talk to something useful in
todays' client/server marketplace.
2. Tools for finding specific kinds of bugs - there will likely be more
of the algorithm-dependent bugs like that cropping up in the next
decade.
3. Increased understanding of what is now called system integration. I
believe that this area is the next huge development area for this
business, and anyone who understands how to get A to talk to B, and then
explain that to mere mortals, is in for some interesting job prospects.
4. A better set of tools at home. This is called 'investing in
yourself' in other settings. At least I assume that you'll use some of
those megabucks to invest in your tools.

Good luck!

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems