Re: Certification Issues

Subject: Re: Certification Issues
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:12:33 -0700

Beth Mazur wrote:

> At 10:06 AM -0700 6/17/97, Elna Tymes wrote:
> > ... The most charitable view is
> >that STC is a group of wannabes and academicians who have formed a
> >self-help group in the hope of improving their status. The notion that
> >this group is a source of reliable judgments about what constitutes high
> >quality professional writing is truly a sick joke, in my opinion.
>
> You had me up until this paragraph. As a two and a half year member of
> STC who does not label herself a technical writer and is against
> certification, even I'm offended by this.

Beth -

You can take offense at the fact that the sun rose this morning. I have
no influence over that either.

I've been an on-again-off-again member of STC over some 20 years. Every
time I give the group one more chance, I find that my dues have been an
incredible waste of money. The latest such attempt was last year; I
didn't pay my dues this year as a result of yet another failed attempt
to find value for money in STC.

My opinion of STC is just that: my opinion. There is no requirement
that you - or anybody else - agree with me on any point. I am simply
another voice on this newsgroup, and what I've said is the product of my
experience. You may well fault my conclusions - as obviously you have -
but you can't deny my experience.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems