Reference Method Preference Survey Results Posting

Subject: Reference Method Preference Survey Results Posting
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith -at- OODB -dot- SYSCOM -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 20:01:07 +0800

(All bow down before the King of the Noun Strings!)

Documentation Preference Survey Results
Well, here's what you all told me, in your cute individual ways:

No. Of Respondents 40
Gender Split (My Best Guess, see: Pat, Chris, Robin, Kim)
Male 15
Female 25
Prefer Hard Copy 25
Prefer Online 10
No preference 5
Number of Respondents who baldfacedly LIED 1

Please note that in the following section, the percentage shown is the
portion of those who prefer that method, rather than the total body of
respondents.
Many gave multiple reasons, so don?t go counting %?s and yelling at me.
(Anyway, as far as you know, I could be making all of this up except for
your entry.)

Reasons for preferring HC % of preferents
It just FEELS better 40
I can make my own notes in the margin 28
Speed 24
Habit 13
A break from the screen 12
Portability 12
Don?t trust the search engine 12
Collateral reference 8
No closing or crashing 8
"I wear fuzzy clothes and my boss?s hobby is running." (?) 4
Can?t explain 4

Reasons for preferring OL: % of preferents
Speed (really) 20
Versatility 13
No wasted paper or clutter 14
Up-to-date 7
Easier to read 7
Helps me think like an OL doc reader 7
Can?t explain 7
"Its quick, it?s slick, it?s *SEARCHABLE*!" 7
Checking form for professional purposes 7
It?s cool 7
Points of interest (to me, anyway) included the following:
Almost universally, those who preferred HC (a VAST majority, right?)
were apologetic for their preference! Earth people. Go figure.
Almost everybody had conditions under which they used the method they
DIDN?T prefer, even given a choice.
I haven?t prepared the figures, but each area of preference had a fairly
equal share of each gender group, with maybe a slightly higher male
presence in the OL camp (no, we didn?t all go camping, it?s an
expression).
SO....
That?s it, draw your own conclusions, and get started arguing with each
other about which method is superior!
Once again, thanks to all who responded.
And thanks for the Elvis stories.
Oh yeah, I prefer hard copy about a mungogingillion to one.

--
Hank, somewhere in TWG
Docs that Rock...

"Call Careers Information...