SMEs (was Education and Productivity)

Subject: SMEs (was Education and Productivity)
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:14:29 EST

On 24 Jun 1997, Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM> wrote:

> does anyone have suggestions for how to get the
info you need from a reluctant SME? How do you overcome hurtles like
being younger, being female, being not a programmer/engineer, being new
to the company? I'm interested to hear how different people deal with
these things.

You might want to search the techwr-l archive on this. Check the listserv blurb
at the end of the message.

Having said that, let me note that this was a question we posed to our last
batch of job applicants. My favorite answers involved win-win situations --
joking, e-mail/voicemail/post-it reminders, etc. But I never saw my all-time
favorite answer, the one that is currently winning us answers and technical
expertise from a previously unreachable SME.

Listen, my children, and you shall hear. Draw near in awe while I cast my
pearls of wisdom before you. The answer is . . . FOOD!

Yes, it's true. Feed people and their lips loosen, sometimes even while they're
eating. (Don't bring your originals to the meeting.) They become happy. They
feel nurtured. They spill their guts. It's really great. In fact, if you have
a regular periodic meeting with a SME, you can even get the SME to bring food
sometimes! What a kick!

Good luck --

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
BNA and I do not speak for each other. The company also does not speak for
fortune cookies. Today's message:

Greater success is in the days ahead.