Re: Compare Thee to a Database

Subject: Re: Compare Thee to a Database
From: John Engler <jengler -at- SPILLMAN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 14:09:24 -0600

Hey Matt,

We also document database software. This is the analogy we use, but it
may be specific to our software:

Tables are the most important thing to understand in our system. A table
is a collection of records which, like a file drawer, contains records
of one kind, for example, Name records. Each record contains various
pieces of information, with each piece held in a field, for example, the
last name in the Last field.

I've then created a file drawer graphic with a record sticking up (to
represent a record in a table). This has worked really well for us.

Good luck,

John Engler
Technical Writer
Spillman Data Systems