Re: job angst

Subject: Re: job angst
From: Virginia Day <Virginia_Day -at- DATACARD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 11:57:30 -0500

Dianne,

How does the new job match your personal goals? Energy level? Will it
give you time for personal/family activities? (How long can you give
up that time if needed?)

If you are leaving irrational management, will you be entering another
irrationally run company? (Is your vision clouded by your feelings
about the management you currently work for?)

How comfortable are you with risk? What are the obvious and *hidden*
risks?

Where could this job lead? Contracting on your own? Owning a piece of
the pie? Are those places you might like to go?

I changed jobs less than a year ago, and these were some of my
questions. I've accomplished a lot in my new job, and it was a good
life decision for me. Have fun!!!

Regards, Virginia

Subject: job angst
Author: Dianne Walsh <ldwalsh -at- VOICENET -dot- COM> at Internet
Date: 7/3/97 11:55 AM

Hi fellow tech whirlers!

Because misery loves company, I decided to share my dilemma with you =
(asbestos underwear on...). Here's the problem: I've been offered a job =
with a small but dynamic, highly creative communications design firm. =
It's everything I could ask for in a job including a desk by the windows =
;-), but this company, being small and new, offers next-to-nothing in =
benefits. There are no sick or personal days, minimal health insurance, =
and only one week of paid vacation after you've worked a full year. I =
understand their reasons for this--everyone there is "on the clock" =
doing outsourced work from some very big corporations, so taking time =
off cuts into the revenue in a big way.=20

My present job, on the other had, offers reasonably good benefits, =
BUT--It's beome a chore to drag myself into the place every morning and =
face the same old, same old. Not only has the work gotten boring, but =
the place is under such chaotic management (or lack of management) that =
I fear for its survival. It has been growing and seems to be doing well, =
but the constant uproar and lack of direction have gotten on my nerves.

So, what to do? Do I stay and grit my teeth on the present job and take =
solace in three weeks of vacation, plus some sick/personal days, a = little
life insurance, and modest tuition reimbursement, or do I strike = out for
the work I want to do, in an exciting, creative environment--and = say the
heck with the extras for now? (As this company grows, it does = plan to
add/increase those extras.) One more ingredient in this = mixture--I'm not
a just-starting-out 20-something. I'm 50-something and = that's an extra
consideration.

I'd love to hear some viewpoints on this and off-line replies are fine.

Thanks!

Dianne Walsh
Sr. Technical Writer

Visit the Last of the Red Hot Cybermamas at =
http://www.voicenet.com/~ldwalsh