Re: job angst

Subject: Re: job angst
From: Peggy Daniels <pdaniels -at- GALE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 15:41:04 -0400

Peggy Daniels -at- ITP
07/03/97 03:41 PM

quoting Dianne Walsh
>>It's everything I could ask for in a job including a desk by the
>>windows ;-), but this company, being small and new, offers
>>next-to-nothing in benefits. There are no sick or personal days,
>>minimal health insurance, and only one week of paid vacation after
>>you've worked a full year.
end quote

Two questions to ask yourself:
1. How important are benefits like paid time off and health insurance? If
these benefits are very important to you, then this is _not_ your dream
job, no matter how much it might appear to be. IMHO, it's better to wait
until your _real_ dream job comes along, one that is all that plus
benefits. If these benefits are not that important to you, then go for it!
It sounds exciting.

2. What does your life outside of work look like right now? If you are
ready, willing, and able to work long hours in a fast-paced environment
(since that's what I inferred from your description of the company) then go
for it! If, for whatever reason, you can't work at that schedule or pace
right now, better to pass on this opportunity - but maybe let them know
that you would be available for contract work (if you would be).

Everyone seems to be saying "never look back" but I think that is really
hard to do. If you decide to go, leaving your current employer on good
terms - with the stated interest in possibly renewing your working
relationship in the future - might provide you with a small safety net.

I hope you'll let us know what you decide to do.
Good Luck!

Peggy Daniels
pdaniels -at- gale -dot- com
Standard Disclaimer: I speak for myself, and no one else.