Re: A or An?

Subject: Re: A or An?
From: steve -dot- williams -at- ASCOMTATECO -dot- SE
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 07:56:45 +0100

Isn't it the eel which is the actual extension and the dot which is the
separator between the filename and the extension?

If so (and if it is obvious to the reader that file names and extension
are separated by dots) you could drop the dot (.).

So the phrase would be:

"... with an eel extension."

I'm not sure if I like the idea myself, but it's a thought...

______
Steve

----------
Chris wrote:
I tried to search the archives about this one, but the server doesn't
seem
to be working. And since it hasn't been on any of the "recurring
nightmares" posts, I thought I'd put it to the list.

I have the following phrase in a topic:

"... with a/an .eel extension."

The question is, should it be A or AN? Grammatically speaking, I would
guess you ignore the dot and use AN. But if you say it out loud, you
might
well say "with a dot eel extension", in which case A sounds right.

When I read it, something in me twitches if I have AN. What do you all
think?

Chris