Re: Focus Group Information Needed

Subject: Re: Focus Group Information Needed
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- ACCENT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 14:56:47 -0400

Ben, I helped organize a focus group at a company I used to work for a few
years back. It went very well. I'll be happy to share these thoughts with you.

First of all, you say this is for a NEW software package. My focus group was
for an installed software. We were meeting to discuss what's good, what's
bad, and what to change. So, you can extrapolate from what I'm saying here
to suit your needs.

We had a smaller group of users (4-5) from different companies (clients of
the company) get together for four to five hours during the day, in our
offices. This included a catered buffet lunch TOGETHER in the same room as
the meeting. This is important for unofficial chit-chat. A great deal comes
out of that. Don't underestimate it, and don't go to a restaurant. You can't
talk as well.

The day was split into two broad parts:
1. Software feedback - animated by a top analyst, programmer, or Project
leader, assisted perhaps by another programmer.

2. Documentation feedback - animated by a senior technical writer - me.

In advance, the users who met had received a survey asking them for comments
on the software and the documentation, to let us know anything that bugs
them, that doesn't work, and also some kind of "wish list" of things they
would like to see added or changed in the product. The result of this survey
would be the starting point of all discussion. But as we quickly realized,
this was only be the topics that would trigger dozens more points that arose
during the day. Before the meeting, each of the users attending was called
individually, to confirm their presence, and urged to complete their survey
and fax it back to us immediately.

The software animator started with the points received related to software.
For each point, he asked the person who had submitted it to elaborate if
necessary, then he wrote the point down in one of three columns: 1. Would be
nice, but cannot be done technically speaking; 2. Good idea! Can definitely
be done, and will be added to the things planned for next release; 3. Good
idea! Can definitely be done, but requires too much work to be included with
next release, and so will be included in a future release.

The users loved it! They liked the professionalism, and they especially
liked the fact that some (make that many) of their suggestions were going to
be in the very next release. As for the ones that just couldn't be done,
they fully understood the expert comments from the top analyst.

Then, the Technical Writer (yours truly) has his turn at the flip chart. I
explained that I was at their service, and that I valued their opinions.
First I went through the points they had submitted, in the same way the
analyst had done for the software, placing the points in one of three
columns. Then, when all were satisfied with the placemnet of the points, I
brought up some points of my own. For example, I asked them about the type
of documents we gave them (User Guide, Quick Reference, Reference Manual,
etc.). I asked if these were actually read, and if they would have preferred
to have different types of documents instead. I asked them about the page
size (8-1/2" x 11") vs something else we could do. I asked about the
binding, the tone, the style, the organization of the information throughout
the manuals, etc. All these points triggered many more comments from them.
All, or as many as possible, were addressed one by one.

The users left extremely satisfied with the day. As I said, one of the
things they were most excited about was knowing that many of their ideas and
suggestions had been taken very seriously, and they had our promise that
these points would be added to the very next release of the product.

This was truly an enriching experience for me. It was a direct contact with
the people who actually read the documents I wrote. I recommend this to
every technical writer.

I hope this personal experience has given you some insight about focus
groups. If anyone would like more info on this subject, I'd be pleased to
discuss it further privately.

Fabien Vais
phantoms -at- accent -dot- net