New department name

Subject: New department name
From: bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 15:17:16 MTN

Hi all,

I believe this was covered on TECHWR-L some time ago, but my archive
search was unsuccessful so I must raise the issue again.

My manager is seriously considering changing the name of our Technical
Publications department, because we do so much more now than make
printed manuals.

We do usability testing and work with engineers on improving the
wording and design of the interface, as well as the product's
functionality (ew, there's that word). We make LOTS of online docs
(HTML & PDF) and online Help (both HTML and Winhelp). Our focus has
shifted toward complete documentation online plus a small get-started
manual. Saves on costs. Microsoft did it with Win 95 and it seems
everyone else is moving that way now, so we joined the bandwagon.

He's thinking of something along the lines of Information Development.

Can anyone lend us some more ideas? I really appreciate ANY feedback
you might have. If you have changed your dept. name to something more
"up to date," have there been any positive consequences at all? Or
negative?

Also, do you necessarily have to change job titles to go with the new
dept. title? I've been working my way up to becoming a senior tech
writer. What does one become now -- a senior info developer? Sounds a
bit too trendy to me (but I could be wrong)...

You can send replies directly to me and I can summarize for the
list.

Thanx,
Beth in Tucson bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com
(yep, I'm the one who once said I always wanted to be a writer, and now
that I've finally got Writer in my job title I'm gonna keep it, by god)
;')