Scientific calculators?

Subject: Scientific calculators?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:56:20 -0500

[Apologies for cross-posting... there's enough difference
between this and the copyediting list that I felt it would
be worth asking again here:]

An interesting problem arose just the other day: I was
writing a science fiction story, and tried to do some
velocity, time, and distance calculations to get some
details right for a space ship passing a planet. (What, me
anal? <grin>) I did a really crude calculation by hand, but
left myself a note to check it over in more detail so I can
get it right... but I really don't want to be doing
integrals that account for relativistic effects by hand. I
could probably fake it reasonably well, but I don't want to
contemplate all that manual labor. <shudder>

So, to the question: Do any CELmates write or edit science
fiction or orbital mechanics manuscripts? If so, how do you
"fact check" such things? Is there a shareware software
package somewhere on the 'net that lets you do simplistic
but realistic calculations of times and distances? I'd be
grateful for any pointers in the right direction.