Minimalism

Subject: Minimalism
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:59:31 -0500

Pete Kloppenburg wondered <<are there any guidelines we
can use when deciding whether a minimalist approach is
warranted?>>

I'll cheat and redefine the question: To me, minimalism
means giving readers everything they need to know, and
nothing more that interferes with this information. The
astute reader will have noted that this definition avoids
the real issue: how do we determine what the readers need
to know? Ah! That's the crux.

Back to Pete's question: You can create appropriately vague
rules of thumb for what constitutes minimalism, and in
which situations it applies, but I'm not convinced that
these are useful. If pressed, I'd say that people who want
to learn _about_ something need more than a minimalist
approach, whereas those who simply want to _do_ something
and forget about the details will appreciate minimalist
docs. The problem is, there's a wide spectrum of users in
between. Thus, it's more important to know your audience
well enough to understand what they need to know, what
would be useful but not essential, and what would be
useless. Then do triage on that basis. The usual compromise
is to use formatting tricks that let readers see the
important stuff at a glance, yet leave the less important
details there for anyone who wants them.