Re: Master's Degree

Subject: Re: Master's Degree
From: "Williams, Diane (contractor)" <Williams_Diane -at- DOTE -dot- OSD -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:41:05 -0400

>>Halfway through a masters program in Professional Writing I had
professors tell me there really wasn't anything they could teach me. <<

Gee, that must've been nice!

I don't see the point in having to disect literature (3 course's worth)
and take a literary research couse (spending my weekends in the library)
for my MA in English in professional writing and editing; and that's the
down side of the current program at George Mason U. in Fairfax, VA. I've
aced all the other writing and editing classes I've had so far. I was
supposed to have taken the research course first, but I'm "saving" it
for last and may not take it at all if I don't care about finishing my
degree.

One irony of this PWE program is that I rewrite and edit wordy,
senseless BS at work similar to the crap I have to read for lit classes
in the form of "literary essays." Y-U-C-K!!! I've scraped by with Bs in
the two lit classes I've taken so far in Shakespeare (which I really
enjoy from a performance point of view). I can't think of anything to
write about for my essays, because I think it's so pointless to pick on
a brilliant writer who's been dead for 400 years! Give the poor guy a
break! ;-) So what if he was a mysogynistic pig! (I had to look that
one up! Why can't the essayists just say that the guy seemed to hate
women??)

Anyway, I wish I didn't have to have 4 courses of nitpicking over
literature and could replace them with more writing, editing, and
desktop design classes. I'm taking a desktop publishing class this fall.
We'll see how that goes! :-\