Re: Courses to Take

Subject: Re: Courses to Take
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:16:14 GMT

Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- ACCENT -dot- NET> wrote:

... but if I'm not mistaken, the only people who
can teach FrameMaker are teachers who are certified by Frame
Technologies.
You can't just learn FrameMaker on your own and decide to teach it.
This is why these teachers are difficult to find.
<<

I'm sorry, but that cannot possibly be the case. It may well be that
Frame Technologies choose to certify certain teachers, but that in no
way prevents anyone else teaching how to use the (Adobe) product.

My experience of certified training has not been entirely positive:
the best training courses have been run by uncertified teachers, and
the worst by certified ones. I have to say that I have never had any
training in using FrameMaker, but I think it unlikely that Frame
training is in any way different from other training -- the software
is similar to the competition.

The issue is whether the result of a training course is to enable the
participants to use the product in a productive and effective manner,
or whether it is to give them some sort of certificate to say they
attended a certified course.

Sadly, we're back to the old thorny issue of certification: is it
better to be able to do the job well, or to have a piece of paper that
says you jumped through the right hoops?

Iain Harrison
iharrison -at- sct -dot- co -dot- uk
iain -at- hairydog -dot- clara -dot- net