Re: College Degrees

Subject: Re: College Degrees
From: Amy Brown <abrown -at- OPENMARKET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:40:51 -0400

>Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 06:59:38 -0700
>From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
>Subject: Re: Degrees
>
>Kathy Fisher writes:
>
>>I've often been told that a degree indicates that someone has
>>completed something and that is important...like tenacity....and
>>that helps narrow the search process for prospective employers.
>
>Many people plod through a college cirriculum because they have
>no imagination and simply do what their parents expect them to
>do. Many college cirricula aren't very demanding in any event.
>
>A college degree is a badge of conventionality. Like noticing
>whether the candidate is wearing an appropriate "interview suit,"
>it's a way of separating the more conventional candidates from
>the rest. These tokens are valuable because many managers are
>more comfortable hiring someone who might be incompetent
>than someone who might be outlandish.

Oh, those wacky high school grads...I guess a college degree makes me "conventional". I'll go home and cry now over my lost eccentricity.

I don't think you necessarily need a college degree to be a tech writer. But a good college education, and/or a good program in technical communication, certainly helps. As does tact.

Don't blame Open Market for anything I say.

Amy Brown
abrown -at- openmarket -dot- com
TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands to LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU (e.g. HELP or SIGNOFF TECHWR-L). Search the archives at http://www.documentation.com/ or search and browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html