Do I take the risk?

Subject: Do I take the risk?
From: DWeber <dweber -at- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:58:20 EST

Hi everyone,

Lately freelance work and telecommuting seems to be the HOT topic. I
am considering making that same career move, from a stable full-time
position loaded with benefits, to a work-at-home situation.

I live in the Melbourne area...and have conversed with some
contracting companies located here and Orlando, and as far as I can
see, work-at-home opportunities seem to be few and far between.

I was however, informerly offered a 3 month contract to work from
home.....compensation hasn't been discussed yet. Do I leave the
stability I have for a contract that will end shortly..with no promise
for other work? Is telecommuting a trend that contractors are
willingly adopting, or is it an avoided concept?

I am willing to work 3 days on site (10hrs a day) and work the other
10 hrs at home. I think that it's not only reasonable, but VERY
feasible for the line of work we do. Why is it that when I make this
suggestion, I'm told "Good Luck"?

If anyone knows of any telecommuting contract/freelance opportunities
in the Central Florida area, please pass the info along to me
privately.

Thanks in advance,

Diana Moran