Re: Dress Code *Results*

Subject: Re: Dress Code *Results*
From: Eric Haddock <ehaddock -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:17:41 -0500

Sue writes after quoting me...

>> I've received oodles of responses and they're almost all the same: suits
>>except for Friday...
>
>Yabbut, if I remember correctly, Eric, you asked for e-mail from
>people who hadda dress up, so no wonder your results are skewed!

D'oh! <stomping foot> That's right--I forgot over the weekend.
No _wonder_ I've gotten so many "hey--we wear jeans all the time" responses
in the past three hours!

With each response has come a stor--keep them coming--they're really
interesting. A new result from some of these responses has been: if your
company has two divisions and one is casual and the other isn't, casual dress
will invade the non-casual facility like a virus.

By the by, non-casual responses currently outnumber jeans 4 to 3 (it was 20
to 1).

I've also had one respondent say they have to wear actual uniforms (button
shirt w/ logo but no jeans).

If I had the time, I think it would be very interesting to piece together
all the posts about work environments (from last year and more recently), the
toys thread from the TECHCOMM list, and dress codes from here to form an gross
average picture of a technical writer. Could it be done? Are there really
commonalities among us or are we too diverse a group for that? Writing is a
creative endeavor so one should expect a certain amount of lunacy in the
cube--but at the same time it's a very disciplined occupation and there are a
lot of conservative, top-button-buttoned people too. Plus, each industry seems
to have its own influence on its people. There probably isn't a stereotypic
technical writer, come to think of it.
If only I was in school--I could apply for a grant and find the answer. ;)

Regards from beautiful Wisconsin!

Me--> mailto:moonlion -at- full-moon -dot- com http://www2.pitnet.net/moonlion
Work--> mailto:ehaddock -at- engagenet -dot- com http://www.engagenet.com