Degrees?

Subject: Degrees?
From: Cheryle Wiese <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:42:57 PDT

Lynn wrote:

With this in mind, I say someone who can make it without a degree is
often
smarter and more capable than someone who got their job by getting
straight
A's through school.

Hmm ... not sure what to make of this. Sometimes one works and gets
really good grades in school. I am one of those individuals who worked
my way through college -- usually working full-time during the day and
attending school 3-4 nights per week. So, not only did I gain a great
deal of "real world" business experience, I refined my English and
writing skills in academia. Certain English professors would make GREAT
editors!

I'm not saying "always" or knocking straight A
students; I'm only saying degree-snobs only rob themselves of excellent
employees.

I was glad to see that you didn't generalize about non-degreed
professionals. In my experience, employers seem more interested in your
portfolio than your academic credentials anyway.

And Steven wrote:

I worked hard for my degree and I paid for it myself and it was
difficult.
Anyway, that is all I have to say.

Congrats! I did the very same thing and it took me seven years to get my
BA because I was always working. But I stuck it out and have something
more than "just a piece of sheepskin" -- I have years of hard work of
which I can be extremely proud.

Thanks for listening,
Cheryle