Re: Skills?

Subject: Re: Skills?
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:53:09 -0700

Eric J. Ray wrote:

> >I know we've tried this before, but can we do it one more time? Answer
> >this: What skills define a technical communicator?
> >Regards...Kris
>
> Or, phrased differently, if you could mandate a single
> course/class/training session/on the job experience
> for your co-workers or employees (as the case might be),
> what would it be?

The single most valuable experience, IMHO, is being the on-site Help
Desk for a bunch of business people who are computer-literate enough to
do simple word processing and email, but need to know how to use a new
software tool in order to do their jobs. I've done it from time to
time, and I always come away with renewed respect for how much some
people will try to figure something out on their own before bothering
someone else, for how awesomely obvious some answers can be, and how
incredibly difficult some "GUIs" can be.

I still think that the position of reverence the old movie TRON took
toward users isn't far off.

Elna Tymes